This guide provides hints and tips on how to participate effectively in an online meeting. Regardless of the online platform that is being used, there are things you can do to ensure it runs as smoothly as possible.
Before the meeting
A week prior to the meeting:
- Request an agenda and any supporting resources. Ensure you have read them and made notes so you can be precise when asking questions during the meeting.
- Read the previous meetings minutes
- Check the online platform and that you know
- How to connect to the meeting
- How to find the chat function
- How to mute and un-mute your microphone
- How to turn on and off your video camera
- Test with a colleague or the meeting organiser to make sure it is working.
- Talk to the organiser about:
- Your priorities for the meeting
- Any agenda items you would like to add
During the meeting
- Arrive 5 minutes early
- Introduce yourself as you connect.
- Turn off your microphone unless speaking
- If your computer is running slow, turn off your video
- If you have headphones, put them on to reduce background noise.
- If someone is presenting and you have a question, place it in the chat function
- Ensure your notes are ready to provide feedback on the supporting resources where necessary
After the meeting
- Check the minutes, once they have been sent to ensure they have correctly captured the meeting.